16.8.11

thoughts on forgiveness

My entire life I've heard about the importance of forgiveness. I always thought it was so easy to forgive, but now I'm realizing that's probably because I've never really had anything too profound to forgive anyone for. However, I do see why it's so important--it stands in the way of moving on, getting past, enjoying where you are completely; when you hold on to that anger it gives that person an undeniable control. (Which is interesting because that only makes me more angry--which then only gives me more I need to forgive and get past.) So now that I am in the position of needing to call upon this selfless practice I'm not all too familiar with, I'm left here wondering--how, just how do you forgive someone? Is it one of those intangible things that one day you're just so tired of thinking the same thoughts over and over you force yourself to stop and let go? Is it really that simple? Or do people not ever truly forgive and instead just let time take its course until it's just not relevant anymore? Like most big things in life, there are more questions to be posed than answers to be given.

No comments: