
Well, I'm officially leaving for Philadelphia in 3 days. I was once told not to use the word "anxious" to describe the way I was feeling for the future because it signifies more nervousness than excitement. However, in this case, I think it's the perfect word to use. I am anxious. I am fidgety. I am utterly clueless as to how these next few years will unfold. It's strange to think that this is the time that I have been preparing for the past 17 years. All those career aptitude tests in high school and the "When I grow up I want to be..." essays in elementary have led me to this day. It's funny because none of them ever told me to be a teacher. I hope that's not a sign. hah.
Despite the anxiousness, I am excited. I fell in love with Philadelphia last Spring when I was there for the afternoon. Which, yes, I admit is not really a whole lot of time to decide if you could build your future in a place, but that seems to be how I make my decisions: completely randomly. I pull my hair out over what to do, think about it hourly, and change my mind about a thousand times and then when I least expect it someone says something to me (that is usually seemingly meaningless) or I go somewhere (and see one building I like) and I decide, right then and there. So, I suppose with both Philadelphia and Teach for America I am doing both of those. For I decided to move to Philli after I spent a measly afternoon on top of a Big Bus tour and I decided to do TFA after a good friend simply asked, "Now, why aren't you doing it?" Both simple moments; both yielding momentous decisions.
I hope that this blog helps me to sift and move through both the expected and unexpected "simple" moments of these next few years, and also provides you a window into my life; a window through which I welcome your comments, your advice, or simply a :). I look forward to what this page will reveal...
Cheers!
Currently Listening to: U2 "City of Blinding Lights" (thanks Christie)
2 comments:
i am so happy you made one of these so i can keep updated. i miss you and will miss you emmensely. i can't wait to see the things you discover and the things you change. you are on fire, sista!
-brittany
Hiya Miley! LOL JK.
Post a Comment